Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 10 / Shaman Island / August 20, 2011 (Saturday)

Today, we went to Shaman Island.  Our group visited the White Swan Hotel & we all took pictures on the famous "red couch".  Katie did not like it at all.  Every red couch picture has a crying baby.  That was Katie.  She just wanted to be held.  

After the photo shoots, she was happy.  We did a lot of shopping on the Island.  Everyone was so nice.  Most stores would give us a gift for Katie when we left.  Of course it didn't hurt that mommy was a good customer.  :)  For 6 years, I have tried to limit my purchases because I did not know her age, size, etc.  Well, now I do!  I also want her to have keepsakes from her province.  I am worried  about getting it all home.  :)

After we got back from Shaman Island, one parent (me) of every family had to meet Jason (our guide) in the hotel meeting room at 2:30 to complete paperwork for the Embassy visit.  It took over an hour to complete everything.  I felt such a relief when it was done.  We are almost done with paperwork!

After that was complete, Daniel & I walked over to a little plaza next to the hotel.  There is a lady there that does photo stone engravings.  She is very talented.  We are having (2) stones made for us.  One of our family & one of just Katie.  All the ladies that work there were watching us get our pictures made and they were all trying to get Katie to smile.  She refused.  It was so funny!  A group of ladies were all clapping, yelling &  jumping.   Katie just looked at them.  This went on for a long period of time.  They took countless pictures.  Again, I find the Chinese to be very patient people.  The ladies were awesome.  So, Katie will not be smiling in her photos.  :)  Afterwards, one of the ladies from another shop wanted her picture taken with Katie & I on her camera.  I have found the Chinese people extremely warm and friendly.  Again, they seem to go out of their way to be kind & helpful.

The women especially seem so happy that we have adopted Katie.  When we go out, women clap and give us the thumbs up sign a lot.  However, there are other times, when people just stare at us and watch us for long periods of time.  Our guide said that they are curious and trying to understand.  In their culture, it is not rude to stare.  So, now when they stop & stare, I just give them a big smile & hug Katie.  I want them to know that she will be loved and care for always.

No comments: